Posted: February 10, 2017 at 8:44 am
Aging Hand.Max Pixel/Max Pixel
Right now, the best that humans could hope for in terms of their lifespan is to reach the age of 100 or perhaps even a few years beyond that. According to the Gompertz mortality law, which is basically a model to calculate the mortality of humans, this only makes sense because death depends on certain factors that cant be changed. A team of researchers at the Gero biotech firm recently published their study, which essentially challenged this misconception.
Putting it simply, Gompertz law uses whats called the Strehler-Mildvan (SM) correlation in order to explain mortality, which is basically the sum of two factors that will inevitably increase on an exponential level as people age, Futurism reports. The team at Gero looked into this correlation and found that it had no factual basis despite the fact that it has practically been accepted for over five decades.
This concept was popularized back in the 60s when it was published in the journal Science. It really put scientists who wanted to extend human life in a bind as well because the SM correlation suggests that trying to prolong life while young will have the effect of actually shortening lifespan. According to the study that the Gero team published, this is simply not the case.
Titled Strehler-Mildvan correlation is a degenerate manifold of Gompertz fit, the study basically argues that the conclusion derived from the SM correlation has no actual basis in biology. In a press release, the teams public face Peter Fedichev noted how this study will impact research into extending human life.
Elimination of SM correlation from theories of aging is good news, because if it was not just negative correlation between Gompertz parameters, but the real dependence, it would have banned optimal anti-aging interventions and limited human possibilities to life extension, Fedichev said.
Basically, scientists are now free to research the ways to increase human lifespan. In fact, they could potentially extend it as much as they want.
Human Life Could Be Extended Indefinitely, Study Suggests
Goosebumps, tears and tenderness: what it means to be moved
Are over-the-counter painkillers a waste of money?
Does an anomaly in the Earth’s magnetic field portend a coming pole reversal?
Immunotherapy: Training the body to fight cancer
Do vegetarians live longer? Probably, but not because they’re vegetarian
Could a contraceptive app be as good as the pill?
Some scientific explanations for alien abduction that aren’t so out of this world
Society actually does want policies that benefit future generations
Six cosmic catastrophes that could wipe out life on Earth
Big Pharma Starts Using Cannabis For Making Drugs In Earnest
Do you need to worry if your baby has a flat head?
Read this article:
Human Life Could Be Extended Indefinitely, Study Suggests – EconoTimes
- A UO lab digs into worms in the quest to lengthen human life - AroundtheO - February 21st, 2017
- When Screening for Disease, Risk is as Important to Consider as ... - University of Virginia - February 20th, 2017
- Should We Die? - The Atlantic - February 18th, 2017
- Evolution approves Cowal life extension project - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly - February 17th, 2017
- Major South African coal extension project on cards South32 - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly - February 17th, 2017
- Batteroo Boost, The Battery Life Extender Is Now Available Worldwide - PR Newswire (press release) - February 17th, 2017
- Why Do People Want to Live So Long, Anyway? - TIME - February 17th, 2017
- Only Human - New Republic - February 17th, 2017
- Private Space Company Suing US Gov't For Stealing Their Idea ... - Daily Caller - February 15th, 2017
- SRS's Melter 2 to be replaced | News | northaugustastar.com - The Star - February 15th, 2017
- Acacia Mining sees 40 percent boost from mine extension | Reuters - Reuters - February 15th, 2017
- Double-blind, randomized crossover study of intravenous infusion of ... - PR Newswire (press release) - February 15th, 2017
- Radical Life Extension Is Already Here, But We're Doing it ... - February 13th, 2017
- Orbital ATK Sues DARPA Over Satellite-Repairing Robots | Inverse - Inverse - February 13th, 2017
- DARPA hits snag in GEO satellite service plan - Network World - February 10th, 2017
- There is No Limit to Human Life Extension - Futurism - February 8th, 2017
- Orbital ATK files suit against DARPA - Inside Defense (subscription) - February 8th, 2017
- Biotechnology xpert Jamie Metzl addresses realities of genetics revolution, Feb. 9 - Vail Daily News - February 8th, 2017
- Life Extension - iHerb.com - January 19th, 2017
- Amazon.com: Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex ... - December 3rd, 2016
- Heart / Circulation - Life Extension Vitamins - December 2nd, 2016
- Life extension - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Life Extension Super Bio-Curcumin -- 400 mg - 60 ... - Vitacost - October 18th, 2016
- Life Extension - Page 1 - Health Food Emporium - September 24th, 2016
- Hormone / Prostate - Life Extension Vitamins - July 26th, 2016
- Directory of Innovative Anti-Aging Doctors, Health And ... - July 18th, 2016
- Life Extension Mix Tablets, 315 tablets - July 8th, 2016
- New... - Life Extension Vitamins - June 30th, 2016
- Alcor Life Extension Foundation - Wikipedia, the free ... - February 19th, 2016
- Alcor Procedures - Alcor Life Extension Foundation - February 14th, 2016
- Most Popular - Life Extension Vitamins - February 12th, 2016
- About Us - Life Extension - January 27th, 2016
- Life Extension Supplements/Products: Antioxidants, Anti ... - November 4th, 2015
- Ann Arbor Life Extension - October 28th, 2015
- Life Extension Technology and Tissue Regeneration - October 25th, 2015
- The Las Vegas A4M Conference - Life Extension - September 22nd, 2015
- Life Extension - September 9th, 2015
- Life Extension: Durk Pearson, Sandy Shaw: 9780446512299 ... - September 3rd, 2015
- Life Extension diet & fitness | drugstore.com - September 2nd, 2015
- Vitamins & Supplements | Life Extension Europe - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension News - Life Enhancement Products - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension Manual - A Guide to Anti-aging, Genomes, and ... - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension - Reviews - eVitamins.com - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension - Products on Sale, Coupons, Reviews, Free ... - August 22nd, 2015
- About Life Extension: Anti-Aging, Health Supplements ... - August 7th, 2015
- The Life Extension Blog - July 14th, 2015
- Life Extension Vitamins | Health Supplements | Garcinia ... - May 22nd, 2015
- NEWS - Life Extension - May 22nd, 2015
- Life extension science, also known as anti-aging medicine, - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Life extension deniers part 3: their ignorance and stupidity - Video - May 4th, 2015
- An argument with a life extension denier - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Forever Young - Short Documentary (Regenerative Medicine/Life Extension) - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Life extension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 4th, 2015
- Life Extension Information, Research and Products - May 4th, 2015