Posted: October 28, 2015 at 7:45 am
Ifyou are reading this book, you are probably interested in life extension and antiaging concepts. Aging makes us increasingly vulnerable to alcohol-induced hangover, liver injury, and damage to the central nervous system. Because alcohol consumption produces toxic compounds and causes vitamin deficiencies, in the best of all possible worlds it would be better not to drink alcohol at all. For those who still want to drink, it is possible to do so more safely. The first piece of advice would be to drink only moderately and follow the preventive measures outlined in this protocol.
Warning:What follows is for those who choose to drink moderately. This advice is not for those who suffer from alcoholism. Simply put, an alcoholic has “lost the power of choice in drink” and is “without defense against the first drink.” In short, an alcoholic cannot drink safely. The Foundation is all too aware that an alcoholic may easily misinterpret the following information as a license to drink. It is not. It is only for those who drink by choice and do so in moderation.
The consumption of alcohol results in the formation of two very toxic compounds, acetaldehyde and malondialdehyde. These compounds generate massive free-radical damage to cells throughout the body. The free-radical damage generated by these alcohol metabolites creates an effect in the body similar to that caused by radiation poisoning. That is the reason why people feel so sick the day after consuming too much alcohol. If the proper combination of antioxidants is taken at the time the alcohol is consumed or before the inebriated individual goes to bed, the hangover and much of the cellular damage caused by alcohol may be prevented.
Aging makes us increasingly vulnerable to alcohol-induced hangover, liver injury, and damage to the central nervous system. In the elderly, alcohol- and drug-induced injury are more common and more serious, and recovery is more difficult.
Nutrients that neutralize alcohol byproducts and protect cells against the damaging effects of alcohol include vitamin C, vitamin B1, the amino acids S-allyl-cysteine and glutathione, vitamin E, and selenium (Sprince et al. 1975; Hell et al. 1976; Loguercio et al. 1993; van Zandwijk 1995; Marotta et al. 2001). There are several commercial preparations that can be taken at the time the alcohol is consumed or before bedtime to help prevent a hangover. One of these is called Anti-Alcohol Antioxidants. The ingredients in this formula will help prevent hangover while providing protection against the damaging byproducts of alcohol metabolism.
A study in the journal Alcohol showed how antioxidants could protect against brain damage. The study concluded by stating:
chronic pretreatment with vitamin E prevents alcohol-induced vascular injury and pathology in the brain (Altura et al. 1999).
Another study in the journalArteryconfirmed a specific toxic metabolite of alcohol (acetaldehyde) and identified an antidote (N-acetyl-cysteine) (Vasdev et al. 1995). Here is an excerpt:
All known pathways of ethanol metabolism result in the production of acetaldehyde, a highly reactive compound. N-acetyl cysteine, an analogue of the dietary amino acid cysteine, binds acetaldehyde, thus preventing its damaging effect on physiological proteins.
These findings should not surprise anyone who understands that the ingestion of alcohol inflicts massive free-radical damage throughout the body. When a person is exposed to a known toxic substance (such as alcohol), it makes sense to take an antidote (antioxidants) to provide at least partial protection against the short-term (hangover) and long-term (degenerative disease) effects.
Supplementation with 400-800 mg of SAMe twice a day will help support healthy liver function. For those who cannot afford SAMe, supplementation with 500 mg of trimethylglycine (TMG, also known as glycine betaine), 800 micrograms of folic acid, and 500 micrograms of vitamin B12, taken twice a day, could help the liver to synthesize S-adenosylmethionine.
A study inAnnals of Internal Medicinecompiled the enormous cost of lost productivity induced by hangovers (Wiese et al. 2000). Here is an excerpt from this study:
The alcohol hangover is characterized by headache, tremulousness, nausea, diarrhea, and fatigue combined with decreased occupational, cognitive, or visual-spatial skill performance. In the United States, related absenteeism and poor job performance cost $148 billion annually (average annual cost per working adult, $2000). Although hangover is associated with alcoholism, most of its cost is incurred by the light-to-moderate drinker. Patients with hangover may pose substantial risk to themselves and others despite having a normal blood alcohol level. Hangover may also be an independent risk factor for cardiac death.
Based on these statistics, hangover causes a significant economic loss in the United States. The staggering cost of alcoholic hangover could be significantly mitigated if drinkers took the right antioxidants before going to bed.
See the rest here:
Ann Arbor Life Extension
- Life Extension and Insilico Medicine Use Artificial Intelligence to Develop Ageless Cell - WholeFoods Magazine - March 28th, 2017
- Texas A&M Agri-Life Extension Invites Resident to Partake in - RGVProud - March 28th, 2017
- Editorial March 29 2017 - Illawarra Mercury - March 28th, 2017
- Who wants to live forever? Transhumanism's promise of eternal life - Irish Times - March 18th, 2017
- Life Extension Science Live Forever and Don't Pay Taxes - Nanalyze - February 23rd, 2017
- A UO lab digs into worms in the quest to lengthen human life - AroundtheO - February 21st, 2017
- When Screening for Disease, Risk is as Important to Consider as ... - University of Virginia - February 20th, 2017
- Should We Die? - The Atlantic - February 18th, 2017
- Evolution approves Cowal life extension project - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly - February 17th, 2017
- Major South African coal extension project on cards South32 - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly - February 17th, 2017
- Batteroo Boost, The Battery Life Extender Is Now Available Worldwide - PR Newswire (press release) - February 17th, 2017
- Why Do People Want to Live So Long, Anyway? - TIME - February 17th, 2017
- Only Human - New Republic - February 17th, 2017
- Private Space Company Suing US Gov't For Stealing Their Idea ... - Daily Caller - February 15th, 2017
- SRS's Melter 2 to be replaced | News | northaugustastar.com - The Star - February 15th, 2017
- Acacia Mining sees 40 percent boost from mine extension | Reuters - Reuters - February 15th, 2017
- Double-blind, randomized crossover study of intravenous infusion of ... - PR Newswire (press release) - February 15th, 2017
- Radical Life Extension Is Already Here, But We're Doing it ... - February 13th, 2017
- Orbital ATK Sues DARPA Over Satellite-Repairing Robots | Inverse - Inverse - February 13th, 2017
- DARPA hits snag in GEO satellite service plan - Network World - February 10th, 2017
- Human Life Could Be Extended Indefinitely, Study Suggests - EconoTimes - February 10th, 2017
- There is No Limit to Human Life Extension - Futurism - February 8th, 2017
- Orbital ATK files suit against DARPA - Inside Defense (subscription) - February 8th, 2017
- Biotechnology xpert Jamie Metzl addresses realities of genetics revolution, Feb. 9 - Vail Daily News - February 8th, 2017
- Life Extension - iHerb.com - January 19th, 2017
- Amazon.com: Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex ... - December 3rd, 2016
- Heart / Circulation - Life Extension Vitamins - December 2nd, 2016
- Life extension - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Life Extension Super Bio-Curcumin -- 400 mg - 60 ... - Vitacost - October 18th, 2016
- Life Extension - Page 1 - Health Food Emporium - September 24th, 2016
- Hormone / Prostate - Life Extension Vitamins - July 26th, 2016
- Directory of Innovative Anti-Aging Doctors, Health And ... - July 18th, 2016
- Life Extension Mix Tablets, 315 tablets - July 8th, 2016
- New... - Life Extension Vitamins - June 30th, 2016
- Alcor Life Extension Foundation - Wikipedia, the free ... - February 19th, 2016
- Alcor Procedures - Alcor Life Extension Foundation - February 14th, 2016
- Most Popular - Life Extension Vitamins - February 12th, 2016
- About Us - Life Extension - January 27th, 2016
- Life Extension Supplements/Products: Antioxidants, Anti ... - November 4th, 2015
- Life Extension Technology and Tissue Regeneration - October 25th, 2015
- The Las Vegas A4M Conference - Life Extension - September 22nd, 2015
- Life Extension - September 9th, 2015
- Life Extension: Durk Pearson, Sandy Shaw: 9780446512299 ... - September 3rd, 2015
- Life Extension diet & fitness | drugstore.com - September 2nd, 2015
- Vitamins & Supplements | Life Extension Europe - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension News - Life Enhancement Products - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension Manual - A Guide to Anti-aging, Genomes, and ... - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension - Reviews - eVitamins.com - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension - Products on Sale, Coupons, Reviews, Free ... - August 22nd, 2015
- About Life Extension: Anti-Aging, Health Supplements ... - August 7th, 2015
- The Life Extension Blog - July 14th, 2015
- Life Extension Vitamins | Health Supplements | Garcinia ... - May 22nd, 2015
- NEWS - Life Extension - May 22nd, 2015
- Life extension science, also known as anti-aging medicine, - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Life extension deniers part 3: their ignorance and stupidity - Video - May 4th, 2015
- An argument with a life extension denier - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Forever Young - Short Documentary (Regenerative Medicine/Life Extension) - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Life extension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 4th, 2015
- Life Extension Information, Research and Products - May 4th, 2015