Posted: February 13, 2017 at 11:44 pm
Private space technology company Orbital ATK sued the Pentagons Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) last Tuesday over plans to give a rival firm a contract to build satellite-repairing robots for a government-funded mission.
The Virginia-based company filed a complaint with the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, asking court to halt DARPAs work on the Robotic Servicing of Geosynchronous Satellites (RSGS) mission, which would promote and develop robotic satellite repair technology.
DARPA chose rocket manufacturer Space Systems Loral (SSL), which is a subsidiary of Canadas MDA Corp., to award a $15 million contract for building robots for repairing government and commercial satellites.
It clearly demonstrates the success of our strategy to bring the benefits of our commercial business to a broader audience and to grow our business with U.S. government work, Howard Lance, CEO of SSL MDA Holdings, said in a statement last Thursday.
According to Jared Adams, DARPAs chief of media relations, the RSGS public-private effort is a first for DARPA in the space-servicing domain, and DARPAs selection of SSL has been submitted for review by the Defense Departments Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics.
In the lawsuit, Orbital ATK argued that DARPA intends to give away this technology to a foreign-owned company for that companys sole commercial use. In addition, Orbital ATK said RSGS would waste hundreds of millions of U.S. taxpayer dollars to develop robotic satellite servicing technology for which DARPA has admitted there is no present U.S. government need and that NASA and the U.S. private sector specifically the plaintiffs are already developing.
On the other hand, DARPA says RSGS would lower the risks and costs of operating in orbit.
Servicing on orbit could provide significant cost savings compared to current practices and a major advantage to the security of both commercial and Government space assets, Gordon Roesler, DARPAs program manager for RSGS, said in a statement last Thursday.
RSGS, Orbital ATK argues, directly competes with Orbital ATKs Mission Extension Vehicle, which is in development and provides life extension services to satellites. The company argues this violates the 2010 National Space Policy, which says that the government must refrain from conducting United States government activities that preclude, discourage, or compete with U.S. commercial space activities.
Currently, the Mission Extension Vehicle is backed by at least $200 million from investors, and Orbital ATK had set up a production facility in Northern Virginia. The company planned to launch the Mission Extension Vehicle next year.
In the past, Orbital ATK has worked with the U.S. government and NASA on various space projects. On Monday, the company announced that the U.S. Air Force awarded it a contract to provide support services for a multipurpose satellite.
This isnt the first time DARPA was asked to stop RSGS. Two weeks ago, three Republican members of Congress wrote a letter to the Pentagon saying RSGS violates the National Space Policy because its competing with a private company.
We urge you to promptly review this program to ensure its compliance with the 2010 National Space Policy, the letter to DARPA Acting Director Steven Walker said. As Acting Director, you should stop any further action on RSGS until the review is completed.
Walker replied saying that the commercial systems under development would not be as capable as RSGS, and he reviewed the mission, saying that it complied with the National Space Policy.
DARPA also said that a NASA satellite repair program called Restore-L does not have the same degree of autonomous control as RSGS. Restore-L was also awarded to Space Systems Loral and is planned to launch by 2020.
Photos via Flickr / NASA Johnson
- A UO lab digs into worms in the quest to lengthen human life - AroundtheO - February 21st, 2017
- When Screening for Disease, Risk is as Important to Consider as ... - University of Virginia - February 20th, 2017
- Should We Die? - The Atlantic - February 18th, 2017
- Evolution approves Cowal life extension project - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly - February 17th, 2017
- Major South African coal extension project on cards South32 - Creamer Media's Mining Weekly - February 17th, 2017
- Batteroo Boost, The Battery Life Extender Is Now Available Worldwide - PR Newswire (press release) - February 17th, 2017
- Why Do People Want to Live So Long, Anyway? - TIME - February 17th, 2017
- Only Human - New Republic - February 17th, 2017
- Private Space Company Suing US Gov't For Stealing Their Idea ... - Daily Caller - February 15th, 2017
- SRS's Melter 2 to be replaced | News | northaugustastar.com - The Star - February 15th, 2017
- Acacia Mining sees 40 percent boost from mine extension | Reuters - Reuters - February 15th, 2017
- Double-blind, randomized crossover study of intravenous infusion of ... - PR Newswire (press release) - February 15th, 2017
- Radical Life Extension Is Already Here, But We're Doing it ... - February 13th, 2017
- DARPA hits snag in GEO satellite service plan - Network World - February 10th, 2017
- Human Life Could Be Extended Indefinitely, Study Suggests - EconoTimes - February 10th, 2017
- There is No Limit to Human Life Extension - Futurism - February 8th, 2017
- Orbital ATK files suit against DARPA - Inside Defense (subscription) - February 8th, 2017
- Biotechnology xpert Jamie Metzl addresses realities of genetics revolution, Feb. 9 - Vail Daily News - February 8th, 2017
- Life Extension - iHerb.com - January 19th, 2017
- Amazon.com: Life Extension Super K with Advanced K2 Complex ... - December 3rd, 2016
- Heart / Circulation - Life Extension Vitamins - December 2nd, 2016
- Life extension - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Life Extension Super Bio-Curcumin -- 400 mg - 60 ... - Vitacost - October 18th, 2016
- Life Extension - Page 1 - Health Food Emporium - September 24th, 2016
- Hormone / Prostate - Life Extension Vitamins - July 26th, 2016
- Directory of Innovative Anti-Aging Doctors, Health And ... - July 18th, 2016
- Life Extension Mix Tablets, 315 tablets - July 8th, 2016
- New... - Life Extension Vitamins - June 30th, 2016
- Alcor Life Extension Foundation - Wikipedia, the free ... - February 19th, 2016
- Alcor Procedures - Alcor Life Extension Foundation - February 14th, 2016
- Most Popular - Life Extension Vitamins - February 12th, 2016
- About Us - Life Extension - January 27th, 2016
- Life Extension Supplements/Products: Antioxidants, Anti ... - November 4th, 2015
- Ann Arbor Life Extension - October 28th, 2015
- Life Extension Technology and Tissue Regeneration - October 25th, 2015
- The Las Vegas A4M Conference - Life Extension - September 22nd, 2015
- Life Extension - September 9th, 2015
- Life Extension: Durk Pearson, Sandy Shaw: 9780446512299 ... - September 3rd, 2015
- Life Extension diet & fitness | drugstore.com - September 2nd, 2015
- Vitamins & Supplements | Life Extension Europe - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension News - Life Enhancement Products - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension Manual - A Guide to Anti-aging, Genomes, and ... - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension - Reviews - eVitamins.com - September 2nd, 2015
- Life Extension - Products on Sale, Coupons, Reviews, Free ... - August 22nd, 2015
- About Life Extension: Anti-Aging, Health Supplements ... - August 7th, 2015
- The Life Extension Blog - July 14th, 2015
- Life Extension Vitamins | Health Supplements | Garcinia ... - May 22nd, 2015
- NEWS - Life Extension - May 22nd, 2015
- Life extension science, also known as anti-aging medicine, - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Life extension deniers part 3: their ignorance and stupidity - Video - May 4th, 2015
- An argument with a life extension denier - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Forever Young - Short Documentary (Regenerative Medicine/Life Extension) - Video - May 4th, 2015
- Life extension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 4th, 2015
- Life Extension Information, Research and Products - May 4th, 2015