Testosterone therapy provides protection against cardiovascular disease in men with low testosterone – Science Daily
Posted: February 15, 2017 at 6:43 am
Despite the continued controversy surrounding the use of testosterone in men who have testosterone deficiency (hypogonadism), a new study has found that long-term use of testosterone therapy not only improves vigor and vitality, but may reduce the risk of death due to cardiovascular (CV) disease.
These findings appear online in the Journal of Cardiovascular Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
Testosterone (T) is the primary male sex hormone. In men, T plays a key role in the development of male reproductive tissues as well as promoting secondary sexual characteristics such as increased muscle and bone mass and growth of body hair. In addition, T is essential for overall health and well-being and for the prevention of osteoporosis. Insufficient levels of circulating T in men, contributes to frailty and bone loss.
In the absence of large, prospective, placebo-controlled clinical trials of longer duration, substantial evidence regarding the safety and risk of testosterone therapy (TTh) with regard to cardiovascular outcomes can only be gleaned from observational studies. To date, there are limited studies comparing the effects of long-term TTh in hypogonadal men who were treated or remained untreated with T.
Researchers at Boston University Schools of Medicine (BUSM) and Public Health (BUSPH), along with researchers in Germany, established a registry to assess long-term effectiveness and safety of T in men. For this study, they sought to compare its effects on a host of parameters (obesity, cholesterol levels, diabetes, liver function) considered to contribute to cardiovascular disease.
The researchers followed a group of men for eight years who had been on TTh and compared them with another group of men who remained untreated for the same time period. They found there were only two deaths in the TTh group and neither was related to CV events. In the non-treated control group, there were 21 deaths, 19 of which were related to CV events. Furthermore, there were 26 non-fatal myocardial infarctions and 30 non-fatal strokes in the control group but none in the T-treated group.
According to the researchers, long-term TTh in men with hypogonadism appears to be an effective approach to achieve sustained improvements in cardiometabolic function and reduces the risk of CV events. “The low CV events observed in the T-group compared to the untreated (control) group strongly suggest that TTh is protective. We believe that the protective effect of T on the CV system provides clinicians with the opportunity to utilize this approach for secondary prevention for hypogonadal men with a history of CV events,” explained corresponding author Abdulmaged M. Traish, PhD, professor of biochemistry and urology at BUSM.
Materials provided by Boston University Medical Center. Note: Content may be edited for style and length.
- Studies show testosterone offers little benefits to aging men - Ars Technica - February 21st, 2017
- Testosterone therapy may help prevent heart disease - Bel Marra Health - February 17th, 2017
- Latest Research Predicts Endocrinology Drugs Market in Nascent Stage set for advancing growth by 2021 - Satellite PR News (press release) - February 16th, 2017
- Hypogonadism in Reproductive Years - Renal and Urology News - February 15th, 2017
- Low Testosterone Products Litigation - US Recall News (press release) - February 10th, 2017
- Posters to Be Presented at the Endocrine Society 2017 Annual Meeting - Business Wire (press release) - February 8th, 2017
- You & Your Hormones | Endocrine conditions | Male hypogonadism - December 29th, 2016
- Hypogonadism No Moustache! No Beard - December 7th, 2016
- Hypergonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia - November 26th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - Wikipedia - October 25th, 2016
- Diagnosis of Hypogonadism: Clinical Assessments and ... - July 20th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - Definition, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment - July 17th, 2016
- HIV and Testosterone Deficiency - verywell.com - July 17th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - UT Medical Center - July 17th, 2016
- Hypogonadism diagnosis - history - Endobible - July 17th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - Risks, Symptoms and Leading Causes | Treato - July 17th, 2016
- Lipocine - Hypogonadism - July 17th, 2016
- Testosterone Deficiency, Hypogonadism | Froedtert Hospital ... - July 17th, 2016
- Hypogonadism and Hypogonadism Resources - What is ... - July 17th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - Medscape Reference - July 15th, 2016
- Male Hypogonadism - Genitourinary Disorders - Merck ... - July 10th, 2016
- Compare 37 Hypogonadism, Male Medications | Drugs.com - July 3rd, 2016
- Hypogonadism Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes ... - June 1st, 2016
- Hypogonadism - RightDiagnosis.com - May 6th, 2016
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 6th, 2016
- EFPIA - Hypogonadism - May 6th, 2016
- Testosterone treatment of male hypogonadism - UpToDate - May 6th, 2016
- Hypogonadism Causes Infertility. Learn how to detect and ... - May 6th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - FPnotebook.com - May 6th, 2016
- Treatment Options for Hypogonadism Healthline - March 29th, 2016
- Hypogonadism - Medscape - March 29th, 2016
- Hypogonadism | Conditions & Treatments | UCSF Medical Center - March 29th, 2016
- Male Hypogonadism | Uroweb - March 21st, 2016
- Hypogonadism | University of Maryland Medical Center - March 11th, 2016
- What Is Low Testosterone? - Male Hypogonadism Symptoms and ... - February 27th, 2016
- Association of hypogonadism with vitamin D status: the ... - February 15th, 2016
- Male hypogonadism Causes - Mayo Clinic - October 13th, 2015
- Male Hypogonadism - Cleveland Clinic - October 7th, 2015
- Hypogonadism | Disorders | Knowledge Base - September 14th, 2015
- Hypergonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free ... - August 1st, 2015
- hypogonadism | pathology | Britannica.com - July 23rd, 2015
- Low Testosterone in Men | Hypogonadism - June 19th, 2015
- Male hypogonadism: Symptoms and treatment - June 13th, 2015
- Male hypogonadism Symptoms - Mayo Clinic - May 29th, 2015
- Male hypogonadism Tests and diagnosis - Mayo Clinic - May 25th, 2015
- Hypogonadotropic hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free ... - May 12th, 2015
- Hypogonadism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - May 4th, 2015
- Prevalence, Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypogonadism in ... - May 4th, 2015
- Hypogonadism: Types, Causes, & Symptoms Healthline - May 4th, 2015
- What is Male Hypogonadism? Learn Hormone.org's ... - May 4th, 2015