Posted: February 16, 2017 at 1:51 am
Middle-aged adults who use recreational amphetamines like “speed,” “ecstasy” or “ice” may develop a prematurely aging heart and experience health problems normally associated with older people, a recent study suggests.
People may crave the euphoric feelings produced by amphetamines, but these drugs have long been linked to heart attack, stroke, artery wall damage, bleeding in the brain, abnormal heart rhythm and sudden cardiac death, said lead study author Dr. Stuart Reece of the University of Western Australia in Crawley.
“It makes sense that all these different issues are linked by an underlying acceleration of the aging effect,” Reece said by email. “We found that the effect was very considerable indeed.”
Amphetamines are a stimulant and they send what’s known as the sympathetic nervous system, or “fight or flight” hormone adrenaline into overdrive. Previous research has linked these drugs to premature aging of the skin, and the current study suggests amphetamines might also prematurely age the heart.
For the study, researchers measured blood flow through a main artery in the upper arm and forearm for 713 people in their 30s and 40s at a clinic for substance misuse. Arteries harden with age.
Each patient was asked about drug use and placed in one of four groups: non-smokers, smokers, amphetamine users and methadone users. Methadone is a substitute for heroin given to people trying to overcome addiction to that illegal drug.
Researchers used a blood pressure cuff and monitoring system to calculate what they described as biological vascular age by matching the extent of hardening in the arteries with chronological age, gender and height.
Almost all of the 55 amphetamine users in the study had used these stimulants within the previous week, and about half had used the drugs in the previous day before doing the blood pressure cuff tests.
Even after accounting for several risk factors for cardiovascular disease such as weight, cholesterol levels and inflammation, amphetamine use was still independently associated with an “advancement” of cardiovascular age, researchers report in Heart Asia.
The accelerated aging seen with amphetamines appeared to be even more pronounced than with tobacco use and was equivalent to about a 25 percent increase over chronological age, Reece told Reuters Health. In other words, adding a decade of aging to an average 40-year-old.
Beyond the small number of amphetamine users in the study, another limitation is the lack of data on how much of the stimulants people used, the authors note.
All stimulants work by increasing dopamine levels in the brain. Dopamine is a chemical linked to pleasure, movement and attention.
Stimulants like Adderall, Ritalin and Concerta are often prescribed to children and adults diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in doses that are not associated with cardiovascular problems.
“At therapeutic doses, stimulant medications have been shown to be safe,” said Dr. Jose Martinez-Raga, a researcher at the University of Valencia in Spain who wasn’t involved in the study.
“Amphetamine abuse implies using these stimulant drugs over long periods of time and generally with much larger doses than those commonly prescribed for medical reasons,” Martinez-Raga added by email.
When people take amphetamines in higher doses than those typically prescribed, people can experience a rapid surge of dopamine in the brain that can trigger feelings of euphoria and increase the risk of addiction.
“No medical patient smokes or shoots their pills,” Reece said. “These high levels are very addictive, they are very damaging, and they produce great spikes in blood pressure and heart rate which are straining and damaging both for the heart itself and for the blood vessels.”
SOURCE: http://bit.ly/2lLwPUX Heart Asia, online February 9, 2017.
- Healthy eating, the Hyman way - Durham Herald Sun - February 21st, 2017
- These transgender patients now have a place to change their lives all at once - Miami Herald - February 20th, 2017
- Research shows balancing hormones can aid weight loss - WLS-TV - February 18th, 2017
- Is hormone melatonin the link between sleep and breast cancer? - Knowridge Science Report - February 15th, 2017
- In West Africa, clinics confront suspicion, and husbands, one IUD at a time - STAT - February 15th, 2017
- Most cases of thyroid cancer are curable - Post-Bulletin - February 13th, 2017
- How This Police Officer Is Helping Trans Patients Get Better Care - Refinery29 - February 13th, 2017
- Women's wellness: Understanding hypothyroidism and pregnancy - The Killeen Daily Herald - February 12th, 2017
- Amphetamine use may 'speed up' heart aging - Medical News Today - February 11th, 2017
- Nationwide Planned Parenthood protests energize patients, opponents - SFGate - February 11th, 2017
- In Transition: Physical transitions can include hormone treatment, surgery - The Baylor Lariat - February 10th, 2017
- Four NIH-backed projects aim to advance the artificial pancreas - MobiHealthNews - February 10th, 2017
- Hospital in Somerset becomes first in NJ to open LGBTQ health center - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - February 8th, 2017
- BRUCKNER: UNL a national model for trans, LGBT care - Daily Nebraskan - February 8th, 2017
- Thyroid Hormone Therapy for Subclinical Hypothyroidism in Pregnancy - Medical News Bulletin - February 7th, 2017
- Transgender youth in Alberta need more than 1 part-time clinic, says new campaign - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2017
- Risk of Pregnancy Loss in Subclinical Hypothyroidism - Endocrinology Advisor - February 7th, 2017
- Public invited to women's clinic opening in New Albany - Evening News and Tribune - February 7th, 2017
- Worrying about Anti Mullerian Hormones? | Baby Hopeful - December 19th, 2016
- Prolactin - Wikipedia - December 11th, 2016
- West Coast Womens Clinic - Vancouver Womens Health Clinic - November 28th, 2016
- Medical Weight Loss | Endocrinology & Hormone Replacement - November 25th, 2016
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | Born Clinic - November 22nd, 2016
- Clinical Guidelines and Recommendations | Agency for ... - November 15th, 2016
- UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas - UTSW Medicine (Patient ... - October 15th, 2016
- Hormone Replacement Clinic in NJ | Healthy Aging Medical ... - October 11th, 2016
- Melatonin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - September 24th, 2016
- Ageing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - September 21st, 2016
- Home : Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine - September 18th, 2016
- NATESTO (testosterone) Nasal Gel CIII | Prescriber Site - August 24th, 2016
- Talk to Nurse Rita - Health, Nursing & Clinic Matters - July 24th, 2016
- Human chorionic gonadotropin - Wikipedia, the free ... - July 20th, 2016
- melatonin hormone - University of Maryland Medical Center - July 7th, 2016
- Dr Colin Holloway | Managing hormone imbalances - July 2nd, 2016
- Does hormone replacement medication ... - Lindora Clinic - June 30th, 2016
- FEMME CLINIQUE - Bio-Identical Hormone Therapy Clinic ... - June 30th, 2016
- San Antonio Natural Hormone Therapy Clinic | Bio-Identical ... - June 16th, 2016
- The Endocrine Clinic | Singapore Hormone Specialists - June 5th, 2016
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men and Women ... - April 29th, 2016
- Denver Hormone Therapy | Denver Hormone Health - April 8th, 2016
- HD Medspa & Clinic | Lakeview Neighborhood, Chicago, for ... - October 18th, 2015
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy - Amen Clinics - October 12th, 2015
- Human growth hormone (HGH): Does it slow aging? - Mayo Clinic - October 9th, 2015
- What are Hormones? - Hormone Replacement Therapy Denver - October 4th, 2015
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic of Utah - Hormone Replacement ... - September 29th, 2015
- Home - Seattle Hormone Replacement Clinic for Men - September 25th, 2015
- Long Island Hormone Therapy Clinic NY, Anti-Aging Clinics ... - September 25th, 2015
- HGH Therapy | HGH Clinics | Human Growth Hormone Therapy - August 24th, 2015
- Bio-Identical Hormones & Women's Services at Dr. Wright's ... - August 21st, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement - Testosterone - The Turek Clinic - August 1st, 2015
- Hormone clinic to open - News Sentinel Story - July 10th, 2015
- Dallas Anti Aging Clinic for Men | Male Hormone ... - July 3rd, 2015
- Women's Mood & Hormone Clinic / Moms Program | UCSF ... - July 3rd, 2015
- How Are Hormones And Anxiety Related? - Calm Clinic - June 13th, 2015
- Hormone Center - Home - May 31st, 2015
- Integrative Health and Hormone Clinic Cedar Rapids, IA - May 31st, 2015
- Hormone Replacement Clinic | Topeka & Lawrence KS - May 4th, 2015
- Diabetes and Hormone Center of the Pacific - May 4th, 2015
- LifeXmd :: Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Center - May 4th, 2015
- Bioidentical hormones: Are they safer? - Mayo Clinic - May 4th, 2015
- Hormone therapy: Is it right for you? - Mayo Clinic - May 4th, 2015