Posted: February 16, 2017 at 1:51 am
Middle-aged adults who use recreational amphetamines like “speed,” “ecstasy” or “ice” may develop a prematurely aging heart and experience health problems normally associated with older people, a recent study suggests.
People may crave the euphoric feelings produced by amphetamines, but these drugs have long been linked to heart attack, stroke, artery wall damage, bleeding in the brain, abnormal heart rhythm and sudden cardiac death, said lead study author Dr. Stuart Reece of the University of Western Australia in Crawley.
“It makes sense that all these different issues are linked by an underlying acceleration of the aging effect,” Reece said by email. “We found that the effect was very considerable indeed.”
Amphetamines are a stimulant and they send what’s known as the sympathetic nervous system, or “fight or flight” hormone adrenaline into overdrive. Previous research has linked these drugs to premature aging of the skin, and the current study suggests amphetamines might also prematurely age the heart.
For the study, researchers measured blood flow through a main artery in the upper arm and forearm for 713 people in their 30s and 40s at a clinic for substance misuse. Arteries harden with age.
Each patient was asked about drug use and placed in one of four groups: non-smokers, smokers, amphetamine users and methadone users. Methadone is a substitute for heroin given to people trying to overcome addiction to that illegal drug.
Researchers used a blood pressure cuff and monitoring system to calculate what they described as biological vascular age by matching the extent of hardening in the arteries with chronological age, gender and height.
Almost all of the 55 amphetamine users in the study had used these stimulants within the previous week, and about half had used the drugs in the previous day before doing the blood pressure cuff tests.
Even after accounting for several risk factors for cardiovascular disease such as weight, cholesterol levels and inflammation, amphetamine use was still independently associated with an “advancement” of cardiovascular age, researchers report in Heart Asia.
The accelerated aging seen with amphetamines appeared to be even more pronounced than with tobacco use and was equivalent to about a 25 percent increase over chronological age, Reece told Reuters Health. In other words, adding a decade of aging to an average 40-year-old.
Beyond the small number of amphetamine users in the study, another limitation is the lack of data on how much of the stimulants people used, the authors note.
All stimulants work by increasing dopamine levels in the brain. Dopamine is a chemical linked to pleasure, movement and attention.
Stimulants like Adderall, Ritalin and Concerta are often prescribed to children and adults diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in doses that are not associated with cardiovascular problems.
“At therapeutic doses, stimulant medications have been shown to be safe,” said Dr. Jose Martinez-Raga, a researcher at the University of Valencia in Spain who wasn’t involved in the study.
“Amphetamine abuse implies using these stimulant drugs over long periods of time and generally with much larger doses than those commonly prescribed for medical reasons,” Martinez-Raga added by email.
When people take amphetamines in higher doses than those typically prescribed, people can experience a rapid surge of dopamine in the brain that can trigger feelings of euphoria and increase the risk of addiction.
“No medical patient smokes or shoots their pills,” Reece said. “These high levels are very addictive, they are very damaging, and they produce great spikes in blood pressure and heart rate which are straining and damaging both for the heart itself and for the blood vessels.”
SOURCE: http://bit.ly/2lLwPUX Heart Asia, online February 9, 2017.
- Arts & Events - GayRVA - March 30th, 2017
- Core Care adding primary care and other medical services - The San Luis Obispo Tribune - March 30th, 2017
- How to build a female reproductive system that fits in the palm of your hand - PBS NewsHour - March 30th, 2017
- Utah's New Anti-Abortion Law Deliberately Puts Women's Lives At Risk - The Daily Banter - March 30th, 2017
- Kristof's Birth Control Advice Hurts Women And Demeans The Poor - The Federalist - March 28th, 2017
- Type 1 diabetes and pregnancy - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports- - WCAX - March 28th, 2017
- Unique Men's Health Clinic Offers 'full makeover of mind and body' in Bangkok - Digital Journal - March 28th, 2017
- They said I was peri-menopausal. It's a miracle I got pregnant - New Scientist - March 28th, 2017
- Endometriosis: A cause for painful periods, heavy bleeding and some infertility - Craig Daily Press - March 28th, 2017
- Doctors Say Some May Be Suffering From 'Male Menopause' - CBS Pittsburgh / KDKA - March 22nd, 2017
- 5 Myths About Egg Freezing - Health.com - March 22nd, 2017
- Thyroid cancer: treatment and prognosis - Medical Xpress - March 22nd, 2017
- The Incredible Plan To Restore A Woman's Fertility And Defy The Limits Of Nature - Gizmodo Australia - March 18th, 2017
- For LGBT Undocumented Immigrants, Detention Means More Fear and Humiliation - Broadly - March 18th, 2017
- The Crazy Plan to Restore a Woman's Fertilityand Defy the Limits of Nature - Gizmodo - March 16th, 2017
- In the face of Trump's healthcare reform, RVA's Health Brigade steps up to cover the region's most vulnerable ... - GayRVA - March 16th, 2017
- What You Need To Know About Gwyneth Paltrow's New Supplements - Women's Health - March 10th, 2017
- Does Hormone Replacement Therapy Curb Atherosclerosis? New Imaging Study Opens Old Questions - TCTMD - March 10th, 2017
- Hormone secreted by bones influences the appetite - ResearchGate - ResearchGate (blog) - March 9th, 2017
- First clinic specifically serving transgender needs opens in Austin - MyStatesman.com - March 9th, 2017
- Dubai clinic offering free fertility tests for women throughout March ... - Emirates 24|7 - March 8th, 2017
- Mediterranean diet linked to lower risk of breast cancer type, study says - WGNO - March 8th, 2017
- Doctor Allie International Hormone Success Doctor Joins the ... - Satellite PR News (press release) - March 6th, 2017
- Hormone Therapy Clinic | Human Growth Hormone ... - March 6th, 2017
- Planned Parenthood New York Now Offers Transgender Hormone Replacement Therapy - The Mary Sue - March 6th, 2017
- Isoflavones in food associated with reduced mortality for women with some breast cancers - Tufts Now - March 6th, 2017
- Walking has many Health Benefit - Plainview Daily Herald - March 3rd, 2017
- Boutique Egg Freezing Clinics Are the Latest Trend for Those Looking to Delay Parenthood - Babble (blog) - March 2nd, 2017
- Municipal Hospital System Opens NYC's First Public Clinic Offering Gender-Reassignment Surgery - NY1 - March 2nd, 2017
- Obese couples may take longer to conceive - Fox News - March 1st, 2017
- Even More Reason to Kick That Sedentary Lifestyle - LifeZette - March 1st, 2017
- What Happens When Your Immune System Gets Stressed Out? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - March 1st, 2017
- The truth about why some men get sleepy after sex | Fox News - Fox News - February 25th, 2017
- Wellness experts use hormone balancing to fight obesity - WNDU-TV - February 25th, 2017
- These transgender patients now have a place to change their lives all at once - San Angelo Standard Times - February 25th, 2017
- Balancing hormones and weight loss - UPMatters.com - February 23rd, 2017
- Have You Heard of These 5 Heart Attack Risk Factors? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - February 23rd, 2017
- Feeling stressed? Try these proven methods for chilling out - Los Angeles Times - February 23rd, 2017
- Mother & Son Swap Sexes At The Same Time! - Radar Online - February 23rd, 2017
- Healthy eating, the Hyman way - Durham Herald Sun - February 21st, 2017
- These transgender patients now have a place to change their lives all at once - Miami Herald - February 20th, 2017
- Research shows balancing hormones can aid weight loss - WLS-TV - February 18th, 2017
- Is hormone melatonin the link between sleep and breast cancer? - Knowridge Science Report - February 15th, 2017
- In West Africa, clinics confront suspicion, and husbands, one IUD at a time - STAT - February 15th, 2017
- Most cases of thyroid cancer are curable - Post-Bulletin - February 13th, 2017
- How This Police Officer Is Helping Trans Patients Get Better Care - Refinery29 - February 13th, 2017
- Women's wellness: Understanding hypothyroidism and pregnancy - The Killeen Daily Herald - February 12th, 2017
- Amphetamine use may 'speed up' heart aging - Medical News Today - February 11th, 2017
- Nationwide Planned Parenthood protests energize patients, opponents - SFGate - February 11th, 2017
- In Transition: Physical transitions can include hormone treatment, surgery - The Baylor Lariat - February 10th, 2017
- Four NIH-backed projects aim to advance the artificial pancreas - MobiHealthNews - February 10th, 2017
- Hospital in Somerset becomes first in NJ to open LGBTQ health center - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - February 8th, 2017
- BRUCKNER: UNL a national model for trans, LGBT care - Daily Nebraskan - February 8th, 2017
- Thyroid Hormone Therapy for Subclinical Hypothyroidism in Pregnancy - Medical News Bulletin - February 7th, 2017
- Transgender youth in Alberta need more than 1 part-time clinic, says new campaign - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2017
- Risk of Pregnancy Loss in Subclinical Hypothyroidism - Endocrinology Advisor - February 7th, 2017
- Public invited to women's clinic opening in New Albany - Evening News and Tribune - February 7th, 2017
- Worrying about Anti Mullerian Hormones? | Baby Hopeful - December 19th, 2016
- Prolactin - Wikipedia - December 11th, 2016
- West Coast Womens Clinic - Vancouver Womens Health Clinic - November 28th, 2016
- Medical Weight Loss | Endocrinology & Hormone Replacement - November 25th, 2016
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | Born Clinic - November 22nd, 2016
- Clinical Guidelines and Recommendations | Agency for ... - November 15th, 2016
- UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas - UTSW Medicine (Patient ... - October 15th, 2016
- Hormone Replacement Clinic in NJ | Healthy Aging Medical ... - October 11th, 2016
- Melatonin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - September 24th, 2016
- Ageing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - September 21st, 2016
- Home : Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine - September 18th, 2016
- NATESTO (testosterone) Nasal Gel CIII | Prescriber Site - August 24th, 2016
- Talk to Nurse Rita - Health, Nursing & Clinic Matters - July 24th, 2016
- Human chorionic gonadotropin - Wikipedia, the free ... - July 20th, 2016
- melatonin hormone - University of Maryland Medical Center - July 7th, 2016
- Dr Colin Holloway | Managing hormone imbalances - July 2nd, 2016
- Does hormone replacement medication ... - Lindora Clinic - June 30th, 2016
- FEMME CLINIQUE - Bio-Identical Hormone Therapy Clinic ... - June 30th, 2016
- San Antonio Natural Hormone Therapy Clinic | Bio-Identical ... - June 16th, 2016
- The Endocrine Clinic | Singapore Hormone Specialists - June 5th, 2016
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men and Women ... - April 29th, 2016
- Denver Hormone Therapy | Denver Hormone Health - April 8th, 2016
- HD Medspa & Clinic | Lakeview Neighborhood, Chicago, for ... - October 18th, 2015