Posted: February 15, 2017 at 6:44 am
The hormone melatonin appears to suppress the growth of breast cancer tumors, say researchers.
While treatments based on this key discovery are still years away, the results, published in the journal Genes and Cancer, offer a foundation forfuture research.
You can watch bears in the zoo, but you only understand bear behavior by seeing them in the wild, says coauthor David Arnosti, a biochemistry professor and director of the Gene Expression in Development and Disease Initiative at Michigan State University.
Similarly, understanding the expression of genes in their natural environment reveals how they interact in disease settings.
The brain manufactures melatonin only at night to regulate sleep cycles. Epidemiologists and experimentalists have speculated that the lack of melatonin, due in part to our sleep-deprived modern society, puts women at higher risk for breast cancer.
This newstudy shows that melatonin suppresses the growth of breast cancer stem cells, providing scientific proof to support the growing body of anecdotal evidence on sleep deprivation.
Before the team could test its theory, the scientists had to grow tumors from stem cells, known as mammospheres, a method perfected in the Michigan State laboratory of James Trosko.
The growth of these mammospheres was enhanced with chemicals known to fuel tumor growth, namely, the natural hormone estrogen, and estrogen-like chemical Bisphenol A, or BPA, found in many types of plastic food packages.
Melatonin treatment significantly decreased the number and size of mammospheres when compared with the control group.
Furthermore, when the cells were stimulated by estrogen or BPA and treated with melatonin at the same time, there was a greater reduction in the number and size of mammospheres.
This work establishes the principal by which cancer stem cell growth may be regulated by natural hormones, and provides an important new technique to screen chemicals for cancer-promoting effects, as well as identify potential new drugs for use in the clinic, Trosko says.
Additional researchers at Michigan State and from the Faculdade de Medicina de Sao Jose do Rio Preto in Brazil contributed to the work.
Want to find more Breast Cancer news? Follow Knowridge Science Report onFacebook.
News source: Michigan State University. The content is edited for length and style purposes. Figure legend: This Knowridge.com image is for illustrative purposes only.
- Arts & Events - GayRVA - March 30th, 2017
- Core Care adding primary care and other medical services - The San Luis Obispo Tribune - March 30th, 2017
- How to build a female reproductive system that fits in the palm of your hand - PBS NewsHour - March 30th, 2017
- Utah's New Anti-Abortion Law Deliberately Puts Women's Lives At Risk - The Daily Banter - March 30th, 2017
- Kristof's Birth Control Advice Hurts Women And Demeans The Poor - The Federalist - March 28th, 2017
- Type 1 diabetes and pregnancy - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports- - WCAX - March 28th, 2017
- Unique Men's Health Clinic Offers 'full makeover of mind and body' in Bangkok - Digital Journal - March 28th, 2017
- They said I was peri-menopausal. It's a miracle I got pregnant - New Scientist - March 28th, 2017
- Endometriosis: A cause for painful periods, heavy bleeding and some infertility - Craig Daily Press - March 28th, 2017
- Doctors Say Some May Be Suffering From 'Male Menopause' - CBS Pittsburgh / KDKA - March 22nd, 2017
- 5 Myths About Egg Freezing - Health.com - March 22nd, 2017
- Thyroid cancer: treatment and prognosis - Medical Xpress - March 22nd, 2017
- The Incredible Plan To Restore A Woman's Fertility And Defy The Limits Of Nature - Gizmodo Australia - March 18th, 2017
- For LGBT Undocumented Immigrants, Detention Means More Fear and Humiliation - Broadly - March 18th, 2017
- The Crazy Plan to Restore a Woman's Fertilityand Defy the Limits of Nature - Gizmodo - March 16th, 2017
- In the face of Trump's healthcare reform, RVA's Health Brigade steps up to cover the region's most vulnerable ... - GayRVA - March 16th, 2017
- What You Need To Know About Gwyneth Paltrow's New Supplements - Women's Health - March 10th, 2017
- Does Hormone Replacement Therapy Curb Atherosclerosis? New Imaging Study Opens Old Questions - TCTMD - March 10th, 2017
- Hormone secreted by bones influences the appetite - ResearchGate - ResearchGate (blog) - March 9th, 2017
- First clinic specifically serving transgender needs opens in Austin - MyStatesman.com - March 9th, 2017
- Dubai clinic offering free fertility tests for women throughout March ... - Emirates 24|7 - March 8th, 2017
- Mediterranean diet linked to lower risk of breast cancer type, study says - WGNO - March 8th, 2017
- Doctor Allie International Hormone Success Doctor Joins the ... - Satellite PR News (press release) - March 6th, 2017
- Hormone Therapy Clinic | Human Growth Hormone ... - March 6th, 2017
- Planned Parenthood New York Now Offers Transgender Hormone Replacement Therapy - The Mary Sue - March 6th, 2017
- Isoflavones in food associated with reduced mortality for women with some breast cancers - Tufts Now - March 6th, 2017
- Walking has many Health Benefit - Plainview Daily Herald - March 3rd, 2017
- Boutique Egg Freezing Clinics Are the Latest Trend for Those Looking to Delay Parenthood - Babble (blog) - March 2nd, 2017
- Municipal Hospital System Opens NYC's First Public Clinic Offering Gender-Reassignment Surgery - NY1 - March 2nd, 2017
- Obese couples may take longer to conceive - Fox News - March 1st, 2017
- Even More Reason to Kick That Sedentary Lifestyle - LifeZette - March 1st, 2017
- What Happens When Your Immune System Gets Stressed Out? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - March 1st, 2017
- The truth about why some men get sleepy after sex | Fox News - Fox News - February 25th, 2017
- Wellness experts use hormone balancing to fight obesity - WNDU-TV - February 25th, 2017
- These transgender patients now have a place to change their lives all at once - San Angelo Standard Times - February 25th, 2017
- Balancing hormones and weight loss - UPMatters.com - February 23rd, 2017
- Have You Heard of These 5 Heart Attack Risk Factors? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic (blog) - February 23rd, 2017
- Feeling stressed? Try these proven methods for chilling out - Los Angeles Times - February 23rd, 2017
- Mother & Son Swap Sexes At The Same Time! - Radar Online - February 23rd, 2017
- Healthy eating, the Hyman way - Durham Herald Sun - February 21st, 2017
- These transgender patients now have a place to change their lives all at once - Miami Herald - February 20th, 2017
- Research shows balancing hormones can aid weight loss - WLS-TV - February 18th, 2017
- 'Speed' and other recreational stimulants tied to heart damage - Fox News - February 16th, 2017
- In West Africa, clinics confront suspicion, and husbands, one IUD at a time - STAT - February 15th, 2017
- Most cases of thyroid cancer are curable - Post-Bulletin - February 13th, 2017
- How This Police Officer Is Helping Trans Patients Get Better Care - Refinery29 - February 13th, 2017
- Women's wellness: Understanding hypothyroidism and pregnancy - The Killeen Daily Herald - February 12th, 2017
- Amphetamine use may 'speed up' heart aging - Medical News Today - February 11th, 2017
- Nationwide Planned Parenthood protests energize patients, opponents - SFGate - February 11th, 2017
- In Transition: Physical transitions can include hormone treatment, surgery - The Baylor Lariat - February 10th, 2017
- Four NIH-backed projects aim to advance the artificial pancreas - MobiHealthNews - February 10th, 2017
- Hospital in Somerset becomes first in NJ to open LGBTQ health center - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - February 8th, 2017
- BRUCKNER: UNL a national model for trans, LGBT care - Daily Nebraskan - February 8th, 2017
- Thyroid Hormone Therapy for Subclinical Hypothyroidism in Pregnancy - Medical News Bulletin - February 7th, 2017
- Transgender youth in Alberta need more than 1 part-time clinic, says new campaign - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2017
- Risk of Pregnancy Loss in Subclinical Hypothyroidism - Endocrinology Advisor - February 7th, 2017
- Public invited to women's clinic opening in New Albany - Evening News and Tribune - February 7th, 2017
- Worrying about Anti Mullerian Hormones? | Baby Hopeful - December 19th, 2016
- Prolactin - Wikipedia - December 11th, 2016
- West Coast Womens Clinic - Vancouver Womens Health Clinic - November 28th, 2016
- Medical Weight Loss | Endocrinology & Hormone Replacement - November 25th, 2016
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | Born Clinic - November 22nd, 2016
- Clinical Guidelines and Recommendations | Agency for ... - November 15th, 2016
- UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas - UTSW Medicine (Patient ... - October 15th, 2016
- Hormone Replacement Clinic in NJ | Healthy Aging Medical ... - October 11th, 2016
- Melatonin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - September 24th, 2016
- Ageing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - September 21st, 2016
- Home : Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine - September 18th, 2016
- NATESTO (testosterone) Nasal Gel CIII | Prescriber Site - August 24th, 2016
- Talk to Nurse Rita - Health, Nursing & Clinic Matters - July 24th, 2016
- Human chorionic gonadotropin - Wikipedia, the free ... - July 20th, 2016
- melatonin hormone - University of Maryland Medical Center - July 7th, 2016
- Dr Colin Holloway | Managing hormone imbalances - July 2nd, 2016
- Does hormone replacement medication ... - Lindora Clinic - June 30th, 2016
- FEMME CLINIQUE - Bio-Identical Hormone Therapy Clinic ... - June 30th, 2016
- San Antonio Natural Hormone Therapy Clinic | Bio-Identical ... - June 16th, 2016
- The Endocrine Clinic | Singapore Hormone Specialists - June 5th, 2016
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men and Women ... - April 29th, 2016
- Denver Hormone Therapy | Denver Hormone Health - April 8th, 2016
- HD Medspa & Clinic | Lakeview Neighborhood, Chicago, for ... - October 18th, 2015