Posted: February 15, 2017 at 6:44 am
The hormone melatonin appears to suppress the growth of breast cancer tumors, say researchers.
While treatments based on this key discovery are still years away, the results, published in the journal Genes and Cancer, offer a foundation forfuture research.
You can watch bears in the zoo, but you only understand bear behavior by seeing them in the wild, says coauthor David Arnosti, a biochemistry professor and director of the Gene Expression in Development and Disease Initiative at Michigan State University.
Similarly, understanding the expression of genes in their natural environment reveals how they interact in disease settings.
The brain manufactures melatonin only at night to regulate sleep cycles. Epidemiologists and experimentalists have speculated that the lack of melatonin, due in part to our sleep-deprived modern society, puts women at higher risk for breast cancer.
This newstudy shows that melatonin suppresses the growth of breast cancer stem cells, providing scientific proof to support the growing body of anecdotal evidence on sleep deprivation.
Before the team could test its theory, the scientists had to grow tumors from stem cells, known as mammospheres, a method perfected in the Michigan State laboratory of James Trosko.
The growth of these mammospheres was enhanced with chemicals known to fuel tumor growth, namely, the natural hormone estrogen, and estrogen-like chemical Bisphenol A, or BPA, found in many types of plastic food packages.
Melatonin treatment significantly decreased the number and size of mammospheres when compared with the control group.
Furthermore, when the cells were stimulated by estrogen or BPA and treated with melatonin at the same time, there was a greater reduction in the number and size of mammospheres.
This work establishes the principal by which cancer stem cell growth may be regulated by natural hormones, and provides an important new technique to screen chemicals for cancer-promoting effects, as well as identify potential new drugs for use in the clinic, Trosko says.
Additional researchers at Michigan State and from the Faculdade de Medicina de Sao Jose do Rio Preto in Brazil contributed to the work.
Want to find more Breast Cancer news? Follow Knowridge Science Report onFacebook.
News source: Michigan State University. The content is edited for length and style purposes. Figure legend: This Knowridge.com image is for illustrative purposes only.
- Healthy eating, the Hyman way - Durham Herald Sun - February 21st, 2017
- These transgender patients now have a place to change their lives all at once - Miami Herald - February 20th, 2017
- Research shows balancing hormones can aid weight loss - WLS-TV - February 18th, 2017
- 'Speed' and other recreational stimulants tied to heart damage - Fox News - February 16th, 2017
- In West Africa, clinics confront suspicion, and husbands, one IUD at a time - STAT - February 15th, 2017
- Most cases of thyroid cancer are curable - Post-Bulletin - February 13th, 2017
- How This Police Officer Is Helping Trans Patients Get Better Care - Refinery29 - February 13th, 2017
- Women's wellness: Understanding hypothyroidism and pregnancy - The Killeen Daily Herald - February 12th, 2017
- Amphetamine use may 'speed up' heart aging - Medical News Today - February 11th, 2017
- Nationwide Planned Parenthood protests energize patients, opponents - SFGate - February 11th, 2017
- In Transition: Physical transitions can include hormone treatment, surgery - The Baylor Lariat - February 10th, 2017
- Four NIH-backed projects aim to advance the artificial pancreas - MobiHealthNews - February 10th, 2017
- Hospital in Somerset becomes first in NJ to open LGBTQ health center - New Jersey 101.5 FM Radio - February 8th, 2017
- BRUCKNER: UNL a national model for trans, LGBT care - Daily Nebraskan - February 8th, 2017
- Thyroid Hormone Therapy for Subclinical Hypothyroidism in Pregnancy - Medical News Bulletin - February 7th, 2017
- Transgender youth in Alberta need more than 1 part-time clinic, says new campaign - CBC.ca - February 7th, 2017
- Risk of Pregnancy Loss in Subclinical Hypothyroidism - Endocrinology Advisor - February 7th, 2017
- Public invited to women's clinic opening in New Albany - Evening News and Tribune - February 7th, 2017
- Worrying about Anti Mullerian Hormones? | Baby Hopeful - December 19th, 2016
- Prolactin - Wikipedia - December 11th, 2016
- West Coast Womens Clinic - Vancouver Womens Health Clinic - November 28th, 2016
- Medical Weight Loss | Endocrinology & Hormone Replacement - November 25th, 2016
- Hormone Replacement Therapy | Born Clinic - November 22nd, 2016
- Clinical Guidelines and Recommendations | Agency for ... - November 15th, 2016
- UT Southwestern, Dallas, Texas - UTSW Medicine (Patient ... - October 15th, 2016
- Hormone Replacement Clinic in NJ | Healthy Aging Medical ... - October 11th, 2016
- Melatonin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - September 24th, 2016
- Ageing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - September 21st, 2016
- Home : Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine - September 18th, 2016
- NATESTO (testosterone) Nasal Gel CIII | Prescriber Site - August 24th, 2016
- Talk to Nurse Rita - Health, Nursing & Clinic Matters - July 24th, 2016
- Human chorionic gonadotropin - Wikipedia, the free ... - July 20th, 2016
- melatonin hormone - University of Maryland Medical Center - July 7th, 2016
- Dr Colin Holloway | Managing hormone imbalances - July 2nd, 2016
- Does hormone replacement medication ... - Lindora Clinic - June 30th, 2016
- FEMME CLINIQUE - Bio-Identical Hormone Therapy Clinic ... - June 30th, 2016
- San Antonio Natural Hormone Therapy Clinic | Bio-Identical ... - June 16th, 2016
- The Endocrine Clinic | Singapore Hormone Specialists - June 5th, 2016
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy for Men and Women ... - April 29th, 2016
- Denver Hormone Therapy | Denver Hormone Health - April 8th, 2016
- HD Medspa & Clinic | Lakeview Neighborhood, Chicago, for ... - October 18th, 2015
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy - Amen Clinics - October 12th, 2015
- Human growth hormone (HGH): Does it slow aging? - Mayo Clinic - October 9th, 2015
- What are Hormones? - Hormone Replacement Therapy Denver - October 4th, 2015
- Medical Weight Loss Clinic of Utah - Hormone Replacement ... - September 29th, 2015
- Home - Seattle Hormone Replacement Clinic for Men - September 25th, 2015
- Long Island Hormone Therapy Clinic NY, Anti-Aging Clinics ... - September 25th, 2015
- HGH Therapy | HGH Clinics | Human Growth Hormone Therapy - August 24th, 2015
- Bio-Identical Hormones & Women's Services at Dr. Wright's ... - August 21st, 2015
- Male Hormone Replacement - Testosterone - The Turek Clinic - August 1st, 2015
- Hormone clinic to open - News Sentinel Story - July 10th, 2015
- Dallas Anti Aging Clinic for Men | Male Hormone ... - July 3rd, 2015
- Women's Mood & Hormone Clinic / Moms Program | UCSF ... - July 3rd, 2015
- How Are Hormones And Anxiety Related? - Calm Clinic - June 13th, 2015
- Hormone Center - Home - May 31st, 2015
- Integrative Health and Hormone Clinic Cedar Rapids, IA - May 31st, 2015
- Hormone Replacement Clinic | Topeka & Lawrence KS - May 4th, 2015
- Diabetes and Hormone Center of the Pacific - May 4th, 2015
- LifeXmd :: Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy Center - May 4th, 2015
- Bioidentical hormones: Are they safer? - Mayo Clinic - May 4th, 2015
- Hormone therapy: Is it right for you? - Mayo Clinic - May 4th, 2015